Stop Motion Collage Animation with Your Phone
Starts February 6
2 sessions: Saturdays, February 6-13, 9am-12pm
Cut it out! That’s exactly what you’re going to do in this class. Working with pictures out of magazines or copies of old photographs, we’ll cut them up and then animate them with the free Stop Motion Studio app on your iOS or Android phone or tablet.
In the second session you’ll edit with either iMovie (iPhone) or WeVideo (Android). The instructor will be demonstrating with iMovie. You’ll learn the tools, develop a production plan, and then edit a movie out of our collage animation. Students will spend some time between sessions creating their animation. Please install Stop Motion Studio for the first class session. Open to all levels.
NOTE: Participation in this online course requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance it is highly recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. A few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link and ID code needed to access this class on Zoom. Your instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
- Animation basics, techniques, and collage history presentation
- Materials talk: box for stand, images, cutting thoughts
- Overview of Stop Motion Studio
- Animation demonstration
- Pre-production presentation
- Developing storyboard exercise
- Pitching stories and feedback
- Check in on animation work
- Editing presentation
- iMovie demonstration
- Editing studio time and issues
- Uploading videos to YouTube
- Review, screening, and wrap-up
Tuition: $105 / $80 low-income
John Akre practices, studies, and lives animation. He is working on his third animated feature and has made over 70 animated shorts using a wide variety of animation techniques. His films have won several awards and have shown around the world in venues that include the Louvre Museum in Paris. He co-owns with filmmaker Beth Peloff Green Jeans Media, a Minneapolis-based video production and animation company that uses documentary storytelling to showcase the work of nonprofits. Since 2015, John and Beth have co-taught film classes to persons undergoing rehabilitation for a variety of complex medical conditions at the Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute in Golden Valley, MN. John features his work on his website www.sloppyfilms.net.
View a sample of John’s work!
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.