- This event has passed.
Stop Motion Animation (Online, Ages 11-14) – FULL – SECOND SECTION ADDED AUG 3-7
Starts July 6
Monday-Friday, July 6-10, 1-4pm
Animation is not only fun to watch, it’s fun to make! With stop motion animation, everything around you can come alive. In this camp we’ll explore the basics of animation and work collaboratively to develop stories, learn how to build props and characters, animate them, create soundtracks and present to the world the amazing things we can do through the powers of stop motion.
Students should have their iPhone or Android phone (and charger) with at least 3GB of space available. iPads are also welcome. Students will need to have the free Stop Motion Studio app downloaded on their devices prior to camp start (for iPhone/iPad, download via App Store on your device; for Android, download via Google Play). Students should also have access to a cardboard box 10 x 10 inches or smaller to use as a downshooter stand.
NOTE: Participation in this online camp requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance, it is highly recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. For extra security, a few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link, ID, and password needed to access this class on Zoom. The instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
John Akre practices, studies, and lives animation. He is working on his third animated feature and has made over 70 animated shorts using a wide variety of animation techniques. His films have won several awards and have shown around the world in venues that include the Louvre Museum in Paris. He co-owns with filmmaker Beth Peloff Green Jeans Media, a Minneapolis-based video production and animation company that uses documentary storytelling to showcase the work of nonprofits. Since 2015, John and Beth have co-taught film classes to persons undergoing rehabilitation for a variety of complex medical conditions at the Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute in Golden Valley, MN. John features his work on his website www.sloppyfilms.net.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Manager; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.