Sound Design (Online, Ages 14-17)
Starts July 27
Monday-Friday, July 27-31, 9am-12pm
There is a multitude of ways that sound is used to communicate, share information, and tell stories. Sound design enhances emotion, brings new meaning to visuals, and crafts a unique sense of space and place. There is an enormous palette of sounds available to record all of the time!
Participants in this camp will use their cell phones as recording tools and will take the recorded sounds to the computer to experiment with editing and mixing. We will investigate audio recording and editing techniques, while examining how sound design can add dimension to moving images. With an emphasis on the creative process and newly attentive listening skills, students will: create original sound effects, conduct and record dialogue and conversations, and gather sounds to edit and mix for dynamic storytelling with visuals. No experience necessary, just an interest in sound! We will not be composing music in this camp, but instead focusing on sound recording and design.
Students should have their iPhone or Android phone (and charger) with at least 3GB of space available. iPads are also welcome. Students will need access to a PC or Mac desktop or laptop computer with a 1-week free trial of Adobe Premiere Pro CC installed. Click here for info. Students will download any necessary free sound recording apps on the first day of camp (example: VoiceMemos for iPhone).
NOTE: Participation in this online camp requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance, it is highly recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. For extra security, a few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link, ID, and password needed to access this class on Zoom. The instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
Emily Downes is the Youth Programs Manager at FilmNorth and is an artist and filmmaker from Milwaukee, WI. She has made several experimental short videos, documentaries, and animations, which have showcased at film festivals and galleries worldwide. Her work explores how personal memories, dreams, experiences and “failures” can be shared to foster empathy. Emily is passionate about storytelling and sharing her talents for digital and media arts with all ages while collaborating with local artists to build a strong and vibrant community. She is driven to providing youth and young adults the necessary tools to enact change in their communities through the power of digital storytelling.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Manager; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.