Screenwriting Boot Camp (ages 14-17)
Starts June 15
Monday-Friday, June 15-19, 1-4pm
Learn the nuts and bolts of screenwriting. A portion of each day will be devoted to watching and discussing portions of great films that have a lot to teach about structure and what it means to write memorable and compelling stories for the screen. We’ll also spend time sharing our own freshly-written script pages with one another. We’ll have much fun, and by the end of the week, you’ll know the basics of screenwriting and lots about film and television. Best of all, you’ll complete a script for a short film or get off to good, running start on a script for a feature film.
NOTE: Participation in this online camp requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance, it is highly recommended that you install Zoom to your computer rather than using it through a web browser. For extra security, a few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link, ID, and password needed to access this class on Zoom. The instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
David Grant is a Twin Cities-based screenwriter and playwright. As a playwright, he has been commissioned to write new work for the Minnesota Science Museum, the Minnesota Historical Society, Mixed Blood Theater, VocalEssence, The Playwrights’ Center, and Great American History Theatre. As a screenwriter, he has written drama for Twin Cities Public Television, Russell Simmons’ Def Pictures, HBO New York, Davis Entertainment, and the Showtime Network. Grant has been a recipient of screenwriting fellowships from the Minnesota State Arts Board and the McKnight Foundation.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Manager; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.