Puppet Animation with Adobe Animate (Online)
Starts June 6
2 sessions: Saturday-Sunday June 6-7, 1-4pm
In this workshop, award-winning animation filmmaker John Akre shows you how to create a 2D puppet and animate it in a scene. Students will learn the basics of Animate, how to use it to create frame by frame animation, and how to create and rig a puppet, make it move, and even make it talk. Students need access to a computer with Adobe Animate installed. The workshop is open to all levels.
- Animation basics, techniques, and history presentation
- Introduction to Adobe Animate
- Frame by frame animation with Animate
- Animate drawing tools, timeline and layers
- Scenes and symbols
- Puppet construction
- Puppet rigging and parenting
- Create animation with the puppet
- Easing and animation tweaking
- Import an audio source
- Mouth shape library creation
- Synchronize mouth shapes with audio source
- Create background elements
- Combine background with character
- Review, screening, and wrap up
NOTE: Participation in this online course requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance it is highly recommended that you install Zoom to your computer rather than using it through a web browser. A few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link and ID code needed to access this class on Zoom. Your instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
Tuition: $80 / $60 low-income
John Akre practices, studies, and lives animation. He is working on his third animated feature and has made over 70 animated shorts using a wide variety of animation techniques. His films have won several awards and have shown around the world in venues that include the Louvre Museum in Paris. He co-owns with filmmaker Beth Peloff Green Jeans Media, a Minneapolis-based video production and animation company that uses documentary storytelling to showcase the work of nonprofits. Since 2015, John and Beth have co-taught film classes to persons undergoing rehabilitation for a variety of complex medical conditions at the Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute in Golden Valley, MN. John features his work on his website www.sloppyfilms.net.
View a sample of John’s work!
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.