Polish It in Post!
Starts October 22
5 sessions: Thursdays, October 22-November 19, 6:30-9pm
“The enemy of excellence is good enough.”
In our content-heavy world, it is imperative that your work stands out. This course is about pushing the production value needle as far as possible. What separates excellent work from good enough? We’ll address that question from a post-production perspective that will be approached through three main lenses: quality, repairs, and enhancements. We’ll explore a variety of techniques, essential ideas and concepts, and implement professional quality standards.
It’s key that you develop the expertise to identify areas for refinement. Observing experts is critical to this growth process. Students will view a panel of broadcast-level experts (editor, VFX artist, colorist, etc.) as they discuss locally-made work through the three lenses of quality, repairs, and enhancements. Students will have the opportunity to engage in exercises based on their suggestions.
Students should be at an intermediate level in After Effects and have a solid foundation in Premiere and Photoshop. You’ll work on one main project of your choosing for the duration of the session and will be given numerous, mini exercises weekly — ample time should be set aside for homework. Week four is not a group class, but one-on-one meetings where students may review their projects and anything they choose with the instructor. This class is a good fit for people who enjoy discussions, are highly detail-oriented, and are up for an array of challenges.
Things to know:
- Participation in this online course requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance it is highly recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. A few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link and ID code needed to access this class on Zoom. Your instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
- Because this class is hands-on and interactive, including in-class exercises, students need to use a computer with the Adobe Creative Cloud programs Adobe After Effects, Premiere, and Photoshop to participate.
Tuition: $140 / $105 low-income
Kevin Kamin heads a post-production department at Best Buy that specializes in 3D animation, visual effects, motion graphics, creative editorial, and color grading. During his free time, he is working on a director’s reel and is engaged in a series of broadcast level spec projects. Teaching is a strong passion of his and he conducts corporate training classes in post-production, as well as gives presentations and lectures for colleges and professional industry groups. Work samples can be found at: www.studiogata.com.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.