iPhone Photo Editing
Starts October 6
2 sessions: Tuesday, October 6 & Thursday, October 8, 6:30-9pm
Shooting photos is only one aspect of photography; for your photos to look their best, you also have to edit them! In this beginning-level workshop you’ll learn how to edit your smartphone photos using the incredible (free!) app Snapseed.
In session 1 you’ll learn some editing concepts, including why we should edit our photos, what we can do in editing, and how to develop an editing strategy. We’ll also learn the basics of Snapseed: how to adjust brightness, contrast, white balance, add vignettes, and remove blemishes, plus how to adjust only part of the photo using Snapseed’s powerful tools. Then we’ll edit some photos together to help everyone get comfortable with the app.
In session 2 we’ll do a deeper dive into some of Snapseed’s other tools, including View Edits, Perspective, Head Pose, Portrait, and filters like Drama, Grunge, Vintage, and Retrolux. We’ll also touch on a few other key editing apps in case you want to explore more on your own. By the end of the workshop you’ll be able to edit all your existing photos with your newfound skills and confidence.
Things to know:
- No previous photography experience required, but you’ll need an iPhone and you’ll need to download Snapseed as well as a handful of photos the instructor will send you ahead of time.
- About 90% of this workshop is appropriate for Android phones, but some of Snapseed’s capabilities aren’t available on that platform. If you still wish to attend the workshop, you’ll be welcomed, but we wanted to warn you that it’s not a completely equivalent experience across different phone operating systems.
NOTE: Participation in this online course requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance it is highly recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. A few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link and ID code needed to access this class on Zoom. Your instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
Tuition: $80 / $60 low-income
Eric Mueller is an artist, photographer, and teacher. Known for his graphic style and strength in composition, his photographs have been exhibited in dozens of group shows, including at the Plains Art Museum, the Devos Art Museum, the Midwest Center for Photography, Head On Photo Festival, the Southeast Center for Photography, and the Columbus Museum of Art. He has been recognized with awards by American Photography, The Photo Review, the iPhone Photography Awards, and the Mobile Photography Awards. He has over 40,000 followers on Instagram.
Mueller’s first photography book, Family Resemblance, was recently published by Daylight Books. The project—which documents and celebrates people who are genetically related and bear a strong resemblance to each other—was inspired by seeing a photograph of his birth mother for the first time.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.