FilmNorth Academy – Home Edition
Starts June 23
Tuesdays & Thursdays, June 23-August 20, 10am-12pm
This online summer program is designed for students (age 17-24) currently studying film or interested in a career in film. FilmNorth Academy provides a “film school” experience that combines film studies and film analysis with film production and post-production. A series of guest artists will offer insight into different aspects of narrative filmmaking as the students work through developing, scripting, shooting, and editing their own short films.
FilmNorth Academy 2020 is being reconfigured for online to provide the usual cohort experience and exposure to our high-quality roster of teaching artists. All class meetings will be held remotely via Zoom, and filming and editing will be done by students individually. Students will need access to a smart phone or computer with some editing capability.
Prerequisite: Students interested in registering for the program need to complete an application. Applicants will receive notification from the instructor by e-mail. Accepted applicants will be given further instructions to complete their registration. TO APPLY, CLICK ON THIS LINK TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION: https://forms.gle/qBYpCUFtAccMYCZg7
NOTE: Participation in this online course requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance it is highly recommended that you install Zoom to your computer rather than using it through a web browser. A few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link and ID code needed to access this class on Zoom. Your instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
6/25 Wenonah Wilms, writing and pitching
7/2 Greg Winter, film history and cinematography
7/9 David Grant, screenwriting
7/16 Ayesha Adu, directing and shooting short films
7/23 Tahiel Jimenez, lighting and cinematography
7/30 Mark Wojahn, art department and props
8/6 Rochelle Gibbs, editing and edit workflow
8/13 Kevin Russel, color correction and audio normalization
8/20 Valérie Déus and Andrew Peterson, distribution and festivals
Tuition: $350 / $125 low-income
Watch the 2019 FilmNorth Academy group project!
Deacon Warner is the Youth Programs Director at FilmNorth, where he teaches and directs video production through in-school residencies, an after school video production program and youth summer programming. His students’ work has been accepted into many festivals and screenings and won numerous awards. As an independent filmmaker, Deacon has produced and directed a number of short documentaries including the award winning 56, the story of his father’s post-war football fame at the University of Minnesota. He is currently completing The Co-op Wars, a documentary about the food coop movement in the Twin Cities.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Manager; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.