Collage Animation with Adobe After Effects
Starts February 27
2 sessions: Saturday-Sunday, February 27-28, 9am-12pm
Unleash your inner Terry Gilliam or Martha Colburn and learn tools and techniques to animate with mixed media in Adobe After Effects! We’ll explore masks, keying, puppet tools, 2.5D sets, and much more. You’ll try out a wide variety of techniques to bring your found media and photographs to life in After Effects. Students need a computer with Adobe After Effects CC installed. The workshop is open to all levels.
- Animation basics, techniques, and collage history presentation
- Adobe After Effects menus and tools
- Importing images into After Effects
- Masks and keying
- Layers, puppet rigging, parenting and pre-comps
- Animating with keyframes and transform properties
- Puppet pin tool
- Effects and animation presets
- Setting up 3D space and animating camera
- Review, screening, and wrap up
NOTE: Participation in this online course requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance it is highly recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. A few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link and ID code needed to access this class on Zoom. Your instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
Tuition: $105 / $80 low-income
John Akre practices, studies, and lives animation. He is working on his third animated feature and has made over 70 animated shorts using a wide variety of animation techniques. His films have won several awards and have shown around the world in venues that include the Louvre Museum in Paris. He co-owns with filmmaker Beth Peloff Green Jeans Media, a Minneapolis-based video production and animation company that uses documentary storytelling to showcase the work of nonprofits. Since 2015, John and Beth have co-taught film classes to persons undergoing rehabilitation for a variety of complex medical conditions at the Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute in Golden Valley, MN. John features his work on his website www.sloppyfilms.net.
View a Sample of John’s work!
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.