Adobe InDesign for the Filmmaker
Starts October 20
7 sessions: Tues, October 20-December 8 (no class Nov. 3), 7-9:30pm
The design of a great poster, press kit, website, and other promotional materials helps entice an audience and support the success of any finished film. Increasingly, design plays a larger role in getting one’s film financed and made. From pitch decks to mood boards, production design, titles, and more, graphic design has become a vital tool for any independent filmmaker.
Focusing on the professional industry standard software Adobe InDesign, this course guides participants in the fundamentals of graphic design for filmmaking. Through the creation of an original pitch deck and poster, students will learn composition, typography, and other layout essentials needed to create successful design materials. No previous InDesign experience necessary. Students are not required to have InDesign installed on their computer for the class, but it is recommended to follow along with instructor demos.
With an emphasis on creating an original graphic identity and pitch deck, course topics will also include:
- Introduction to Graphic Design and InDesign
- Pitch Decks, Posters, and Mood Boards
- Titles and Credits
- Layouts and Compositions
- Pages and Sequencing
- Design for Screen vs. Print
- Design Identities and Websites
- Audience Testing: Does My Intended Message Come Across?
Participants will discover how to incorporate design into their films and help take them to the next level!
NOTE: Participation in this online course requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance it is highly recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. A few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link and ID code needed to access this class on Zoom. Your instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
Tuition: $165 / $125 low-income
Minneapolis based Jake Yuzna is an award-winning writer/director whose films have premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, Berlin Film Festival, London Film Festival, New Museum of Contemporary Art, Walker Art Center, and the British Film Institute, among others. In addition, Yuzna has taught courses in design at the Museum of Arts and Design (NYC), The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art (NYC), Minneapolis College of Art and Design, Glendale College (LA), Science Museum of Minnesota, and IFP. As a curator, Yuzna has organized design projects for MoMA PS1, the Moscow Biennial, and the City of Los Angeles.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.