- This event has passed.
Sound Design for Film
Starts January 24
3 sessions: Wednesdays, January 24–February 7, 7–9pm
Location: Slam Academy, 1121 NE Jackson St, Suite 142, Minneapolis 55413
This class is for anyone looking to create original sounds for application to film. The concentration is on sound design concepts, production, and practical application for use in film and video. Foley recording, sampling, and synthesis will all be employed to produce professional sound effects, ambiences, and sonic environments that fit our visual media. If applicable, bring in your own video short that needs audio refinement to work on it in class with the instructor in Slam Academy’s studios! There are no prerequisites for this course – all levels welcomed. Feel free to bring a laptop with audio software such as Ableton Live or Logic Pro if you have one.
- Timbre: the 3 dimensions of sound
- Synthesis and sampling fundamentals
- Sound creation with virtual instruments
- MIDI workflows: sequencing and arranging notation to visual cues
- Additive, subtractive, and FM synthesis
- Sampling, sequencing and harmonizing audio recordings
- Sound processing with effects
- Perceived loudness control with saturation of the spectrum
- Spatialization and dynamics for film music in stereo or surround
- Creating ambience and realism with frequency and time-based effects
Tuition: $200 regular/$155 member/$125 low-income
James Patrick is a Minneapolis-based music producer, composer, label owner, entrepreneur, and educator. He has over 20 years of professional experience performing at and directing historically significant electronic music events in the Minneapolis area. A pilot member of the Ableton Trainer Certification program, James participated in the first wave of trainer certifications and has been a critical force among the user base in the US. After more than a decade of teaching synthesis and sound design at various institutions including NYC’s Dubspot and Minneapolis’ Institute for Production and Recording, James cofounded Slam Academy in 2012, an Electronic Music School and Ableton Certified Training Center. James uses his professional involvement in both academic and popular electronic realms to unite the creative energy, ideas, and people of his community.
Click on image below to view a video clip showcasing Slam Academy’s state-of-the-art campus.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full to be valid. Registrations are accepted beyond registration deadlines as long as space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund by PayPal (online registrations, minus PayPal fee) or credit/debit card (phone or in person credit/debit card registrations) within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee (plus PayPal fee if applicable). For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee (plus PayPal fee if applicable). As of a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.