- This event has passed.
Production Audio Workshop
Starts August 4
1 session: Saturday, August 4, 12–4 pm
Filmmakers say that sound is 50% of your movie, but what does that mean in practice? This workshop will bolster your knowledge of best practices for capturing excellent production audio, whether you’re a one-person doc crew or seeking a career in the sound department. The workshop will emphasize hands-on exercises with gear and practical setups on a film set, plus include some lecture time on the physics of sound. Though we won’t dedicate much time to post-production audio, we’ll cover some of the tools available and how to best prepare on-set audio for a smooth post. Some prior filmmaking experience is preferred but not essential. Bring a pair of good headphones. The gear to be demonstrated and utilized includes:
- Mixers/Recorders: Sound Devices 633/664/442 Shure FP33, Zoom H6/H4n, Lectrosonics PDR
- Microphones: Sennheiser 416, Schoeps CMIT 5U/CCM 4/CCM 8/CCM 41, Oktava MK-012 modular, Sanken COS-11D lavalier, Countryman B6 lavalier, Lectrosonics M152 lavalier, Sennheiser 2000 series wireless, Lectrosonics SMQV/WM/SRb
- Power supply options: timecode slate and sync boxes, K-Tek K102/K202 boom poles, plus mixer bags and harnesses
Tuition: $130 regular/$105 member/$85 low-income
Owen Brafford has worked in media production for over 10 years. He’s worked in many fields, including narrative, documentary, broadcast, corporate, event, music videos, and avant-garde and experimental material. He’s worked on nearly 30 features—more than half of which has been in the sound department—and taught a co-presented seminar on filmmaking at several Minnesota community colleges. Before settling into audio, he worked in the production, art, grip, and camera departments. He writes and performs music, fosters cats with his partner, and loves to geek out.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full to be valid. Registrations are accepted beyond registration deadlines as long as space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund by PayPal (online registrations, minus PayPal fee) or credit/debit card (phone or in person credit/debit card registrations) within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee (plus PayPal fee if applicable). For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee (plus PayPal fee if applicable). As of a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.