Narrative Filmmaking (ages 14-17)
Starts June 22
Monday-Friday, June 22-26, 1-5pm
During this weeklong camp, participants will explore the many facets of narrative filmmaking, while working collaboratively to develop a strong script, work with character development, and shoot and edit a film. They will learn the conventions of constructing an effective narrative, how different shots and camera movements influence the story, and how to get the best from their acting talent. Each team will explore basic camera operating and sound recording skills and edit the projects using the professional editing software Adobe Premiere. No prior filmmaking experience necessary.
Thalia Drori Ramirez is a writer, producer, and director of motion pictures: narrative, documentary and experimental. She received her MFA from New York University in 1992, and worked as a producer, doing freelance documentary work and television production in New York and the San Francisco Bay Area. After completing an award-winning documentary about corrupt, drug-dealing cops, “Adam Abdul Hakeem: One Who Survived,” she changed course and began making fiction and experimental work, surreal and dark comedies. She joined the faculty at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design in 1999. In 2006 she founded Cineastas de Granada, a free-of-charge video production program for teen girls in Nicaragua, where she taught for 13 years. She currently teaches and makes films in and around the Twin Cities, Minnesota.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Manager; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.