Narrative Filmmaking (ages 14-17)
Starts July 22
Monday-Friday, July 22-26, 1-5pm
During this weeklong camp, participants will explore the many facets of narrative filmmaking, while working collaboratively to develop a strong script, work with character development, and shoot and edit a film. They will learn the conventions of constructing an effective narrative, how different shots and camera movements influence the story, and how to get the best from their acting talent. Each team will explore basic camera operating and sound recording skills and edit the projects using the professional editing software Adobe Premiere. No prior filmmaking experience necessary.
Emily Downes is the Youth Programs Manager at FilmNorth. She holds a BFA and MFA in Film, Video, Animation, and New Genres from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s Peck School of the Arts. Her experimental short videos, documentaries, and animations have showcased at film festivals and galleries worldwide. She is most passionate about sharing her talents for digital and media arts with all ages while collaborating with local artists to build a strong and vibrant community. Emily is driven to providing youth and young adults the necessary tools to enact change in their communities through the power of digital storytelling.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Manager; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.