Music Video (ages 14-17)
Starts June 17
Monday-Friday, June 17-21, 1-5pm
Play beyond the conventions of filmmaking and infuse music and visuals together with expressive and stylistic filmmaking! Students will work together to create an original music video for a local musician or band. We’ll explore and analyze a wide array of music videos from the past and present to gain a greater understanding of the art form. Students will engage hands-on in each step of the process, from pre-production storyboarding, to location scouting, filming in sync to the beat, and learning on-set filmmaking techniques. No prior filmmaking experience necessary.
Emily Downes is the Youth Programs Manager at FilmNorth. She holds a BFA and MFA in Film, Video, Animation, and New Genres from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s Peck School of the Arts. Her experimental short videos, documentaries, and animations have showcased at film festivals and galleries worldwide. She is most passionate about sharing her talents for digital and media arts with all ages while collaborating with local artists to build a strong and vibrant community. Emily is driven to providing youth and young adults the necessary tools to enact change in their communities through the power of digital storytelling.
Oli Peters is the instructor of JuiceMedia, FilmNorth’s after-school youth video production program. She graduated from the University of Iowa in 2018 with a degree in English, Creative Writing, and Studio Arts. Her love for poetry and performance informs her creative work and encourages her to explore the elements of visual storytelling with her students.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Manager; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.