Introduction to Writing for TV
Starts January 24
8 sessions: Thursdays, January 24-March 14, 6:30-9:30pm
This unique course is designed for creative aspiring writers with no prior experience, as well as those with screenwriting experience, wishing to break into television writing. Learn in an interactive environment the basics of creating, writing, and presenting your first television script for both drama and/or comedy, including how to take your idea to the next step and create a complete half-hour or one-hour television script. The course will cover:
- The steps usually taken for a first-time television writer towards writing the first script (general idea, character development, style, story acts, etc.)
- The importance of your first script as a calling card
- Best ways to try and find an agent and get your script read
- Who should you be writing for
- Who does what job on a television series
- The outlets for new shows and new ideas
- The writers’ room
- The collaboration process
- Overview of winning past and current television show scripts
Tuition: $320 regular/$240 member/$180 low-income
Bo Kaprall has been a television show creator, creative director, writer, producer, executive producer, and actor for thirty years. Starting in Chicago as a writer/producer in the advertising business (Post, Keyes, & Gardner), he also worked as an actor at Chicago’s Second City. He is currently executive producing his new television series Outlaw Country for WGN America, and developing reality shows for everyone from A&E to Discovery. Bo recently completed two original half-hour web series for General Mills.
In the late seventies Bo moved to Los Angeles where he started the Comedy Store Players and joined Kentucky Fried Theatre (Kentucky Fried Movie, Airplane, Police Squad). He then went on to write and produce several network series including Laverne & Shirley, Aaron Spelling’s Friends, Norman Lear’s Year At the Top, and over thirty network pilots. In addition, he has written for variety shows and situation comedies, from The Carol Burnett Show and Cher to Welcome Back, Kotter.
In the late 1980s Bo moved to Minneapolis, where he started his own creative production company focusing on humorous radio and television commercials and corporate communications in addition to reality television series. Over the years Bo has created and executive produced shows for ABC, CBS, NBC, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Discovery, TLC, and HGTV.
Bo has recorded, written, and produced over 5,000 radio commercials, winning several Cleo and Radio Best Awards. He has appeared as an actor on over 75 television shows, the latest being Law & Order and Third Watch.
As a freelance and staff Creative Director (BI Worldwide), Bo has worked with several Fortune 500 companies, such as Best Buy, Rubbermaid, Schmidt Beer, Target, Pizza Hut, Verizon, DirecTV, Starz Network, Northwest Airlines, Sears Optical, Miller Beer, and much more.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full to be valid. Registrations are accepted beyond registration deadlines as long as space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund by PayPal (online registrations, minus PayPal fee) or credit/debit card (phone or in person credit/debit card registrations) within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee (plus PayPal fee if applicable). For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee (plus PayPal fee if applicable). As of a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.