- This event has passed.
Directing Independent Films
Starts April 11
4 sessions: Wednesdays, April 11–May 2, 6:30–9:30 pm
What do we mean when we say someone is a director? It takes a lot of different hats to make a film, and the director of an independent film will likely wear all of them at one time or another. This course explores the entire process of directing, from discovering the initial idea to walking the red carpet at your festival screenings.
The primary focus will be on the independent director’s responsibilities during production, including:
- Maximizing your resources (low-budget doesn’t need to look cheap!)
- Getting the best performances from your cast
- Shooting with the finished film in mind
- Working effectively with your crew
- Creating a productive and enjoyable set
But the job of the indie director doesn’t stop there, so we’ll also cover:
- Choosing the right material
- Determining your budget
- Assembling your team
- The value of pre-production
- Securing great locations
- Equipment: What you really need to know
- Finding an audience for your film
- Navigating the film festival circuit
Participants will learn what it really means to sit in the director’s chair and will walk away with the tools they need to make their next (or first!) directing gig a success. The course is open to directors of both narrative shorts and features. Participants should have basic cinema production experience.
Tuition: $370 regular/$280 member/$210 low-income
As a writer, director, and actor, Matthew G. Anderson has been a part of the local film community for more than a decade. He has independently produced a number of short films and is the writer/director/editor of the award-winning web series Theater People, recently picked up for a fourth season.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full to be valid. Registrations are accepted beyond registration deadlines as long as space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund by PayPal (online registrations, minus PayPal fee) or credit/debit card (phone or in person credit/debit card registrations) within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee (plus PayPal fee if applicable). For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee (plus PayPal fee if applicable). As of a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.