After Effects Basics
Starts October 15
5 sessions: Tuesdays, October 15-November 12, 6:30-9:30pm
After Effects is the industry standard tool for motion graphics, animation, compositing, and visual effects. If you find Game of Thrones title animations appealing and are ready to learn to develop characters, light saber effects, and more – this is the course for you!
You’ll first be introduced to the basic After Effects functions in an interactive classroom environment. Topics will be approached from a real-world perspective and every major program use will be addressed. In addition to creating a solid technical foundation, the importance of concept and vision will be heavily emphasized. Developing the ability to generate ideas and push ideas to their limits is a critical skill for success.
Students are encouraged to gather their own assets and create an original project based on what they learn in class. Please bring an external hard drive to class in order to save your work. Basic familiarity with Photoshop and Illustrator is helpful but not required for this course.
- The Basics: understanding the interface, manipulating properties, keyframing, applying effects, working in z-space, importing Photoshop and Illustrator files, file management, RAM previews, rendering
- Motion graphics: creating titles, creating lower thirds, animating text, using the Essential Graphics Panel, exploring common motion graphic techniques, using simple scripting to drive animation
- Character Animation: the 12 principles of animation, character animation basics, puppet warp animation
- Visual Effects: compositing, removing green screen, camera tracking, object tracking, creating photo plates, image cleanup/retouching
- Color correction: diagnosing an image, adjusting tone and color, targeted adjustments, creating LUTs
- Moving forward: local and web-based resources, best practices, essential plugins, a road map towards proficiency
Tuition: $270 regular/$205 member/$155 low-income
Kevin Kamin works as lead motion designer at Best Buy and oversees a department specializing in 3D animation, visual effects, motion graphics, video editing, and color grading. His freelance company, Studio Gata offers services in those same fields, as well as commercial photography and video production. Teaching is Kevin’s passion and he conducts regular corporate trainings in animation and visual effects, as well as presentations and lectures for colleges and professional industry groups.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.